Willem II


History of TU Delft

Although the university only received its current name in 1986, it has been providing technical education for 160 years.

On January 8th, 1842, King Willem II founded the ’Royal Academy for the education of civilian engineers, to serve nation and industry, and of apprentices for trade’.

An Act passed on May 2nd, 1863, imposing regulations on technical education as well as bringing it under the influence of the rules applying to secondary education. Then, on the 20th of June, 1864, a Royal Decree was issued, ordering that the Royal Academy in Delft be disbanded to make way for a new Polytechnic School. This school went on to educate architects and engineers in civil works, shipbuilding, mechanical engineering and mining.

On May 22nd, 1905, an Act was passed acknowledging the academic level of the School’s technical education – it became a ‘Technische Hogeschool’, an Institute of Technology.
It was the Act that took effect on September 1st, 1986 that officially renamed the Institute of Technology into Delft University of Technology, more commonly known as TU Delft.

More about the university campus in its early days (YouTube)….


 

 

© 2017 TU Delft

Metamenu